I couldn't go on such big trip with Dunja and Arne. But "Adventures calling!” So I bought one-way ticket to Valencia with plan maybe to visit Cartagena. On Saturday morning I came to Madrid in order to attend a Leadership Forum organized by Students for Liberty. One of my friend was giving a speech there.
For the night I was staying at the house of my Swedish friend Henry. I didn't know him before, but the curious thing is that when I was on the same conference organized by Students for Liberty in Prague I got message on Couchsurfing from him, because he wanted to visit Arenas !!!! That was surprising because Arenas is more popular for local tourism and not for foreigners. That was only 3rd requirest on Couchsurfing in 6 month living in Arenas. As I was in that time in Prague, we couldn't host him, but we were keeping in touch and we were acpected to host him in our "la casita" in May.
After Forum I met Henry and his friends and we went to Living room concert to listen to jazz music! Thanks to app meetup we could find lots of interesting events in Madrid!
On sunny Sunday morning I went with Blablacar to Valencia! 4 hours of road past very fast, it was very interesting to talk with driver Mario, who lives in Valencia and could gives lots of tips for all Valencia and Murcia regions! I even didn't need to open TripAdvisor and Lonely Planet :)
First 2 days in Valencia I stayed in hostel (meanwhile very nice and cheap River hostel). But as Valencia is very beautiful city and I wasn't hurry up at all, I decided to stay few days more at home of my friend.
Few reasons why Valencia is the most incredible city in Spain due to my experience (except Arenas of course):
1. Converted the riverbed into the park that snaking through the city over 9 km. With this "green snake" you can travel through time!! You can start your journey from Torres de Serranos (Ancient Roman Walls) and somehow while passing ancient bridges you will end up in the city of future ( City of Arts and Sciences)!
2. You can already feel a sea breeze in the city. It is so close to the seaside, you don't have to wait for a weekend to go to the sea, just make your siesta everyday there!
3. If from one side you have the sea - than from another side within minutes from city center you will be transported into the wilds of Albufera Natural Park, where is the largest lake in Spain!
4. The city is full of life! And dozens of events everyday. Just take into account that it is the most visited city under Erasmus programme!
5. Heard something about parkour? The best school is definitely here! R-Evolution school with idea of transforming physically and mentally. Cool guys are here ;)
5. You don't need to look for accommodation during Las Fallas if you already have chosen Valencia for living:) More about adventures of Arne and Dunja during Las Fallas here evsajs.weebly.com/blog/visiting-the-fallas-in-valencia
Valencia is incredible, but I have to move on! The next destination was Alicante. I booked Blablacar, the profile of driver was in Spanish, so somehow I tried to speak with him in Spanish but till the time that we both realized that we can speak in mother tounge , I mean in Ukrainian:) the driver Viktor was from Ukraine living in Alicante with his family, and of course, all the way as true ukrainians we were talking about our country&problems #нашілюдивсюди
In Alicante I stayed with new Colombian friend thanks to Couchsurfing. He was very busy with his work all the time, but he has great flatmates, who organized loooots of Erasmus parties. Also I met new friends from Couchsurfing meetings and volleyball games.:)
The most important from Thing To Do in Alicante is to see sunset from the castle. From April till September it is opens till 10pm, from such high point you can enjoy the view of the sea and sunset:) I was there almost every day during my staying in Alicante!
And thank you, my friend Melina for lessons of Finish in Spain! Kiitos ;)
And one very special day we had reunion with EVS family! Arne and Dunja were in Elche, for one day they went to visit Alicante. We spent some time on the beach:)
Next reunion was in Madrid while coming back home!:)